Assistant Director/Career Adviser
Company: The University of Oklahoma
Posted on: September 23, 2022
The newly reimagined University of Oklahoma Career Center is
embarking on an exciting period of growth and change. With the
implementation of the industry-focused Career Communities model and
the expansion of the Career Center staff, the Career Center can
better meet the evolving needs of students across all disciplines
and majors. The Career Communities model will empower the Career
Center to facilitate tailored experiential learning opportunities
as part of the students' college experience as well as source
Career Community-specific employment opportunities for students
The transition from student to professional is integral to the
success of OU graduates and to the mission of University of
Oklahoma as an institution. The Career Adviser will lead a specific
Career Community and provide career guidance, professional
development, and job search assistance to students and recent
graduates through a strategic plan of outreach and programming.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Career
Advising, the mission of the Career Adviser is to assist students
in developing career readiness skills critical for the effective
transition from college to career, and to build a foundation for
life-long career development and advancement. As a College liaison,
the Career Adviser will be tasked with building strong
relationships with relevant faculty, student organizations,
professional associations, and other salient stakeholders.
Career Advising and Professional Development
* Provide assistance and instruction on resume and CV writing,
cover and thank-you letter development, interview presentation
skills, and other tools and materials needed for an effective jobs
* Envision, organize and implement programming aimed at developing
authentic networks and connections between students, alumni,
faculty, and employers within a given community.
* Instruct students and recent graduates on use of online
recruiting systems and the Career Center policies and procedures
related to services.
* Provide job search assistance, including experiential learning
opportunities such as internships and cooperative education.
* Conduct mock interviews and consult on contract offers and salary
* As the faculty/college liaison for a specific Career Community,
coordinate strategic outreach efforts to expand career services for
specific populations of students, schedule and deliver group
presentations and workshops to students and graduates.
* Attend NACE and SoACE virtual workshops to keep abreast of
* Research employers within the assigned Career Community to create
a knowledge base for advising students
* In conjunction with the Marketing Coordinator, curate
industry-specific content for the assigned Career Community
* Network with OU professionals at staff events or Via Zoom, email,
and virtual workshops to strengthen the Career Center's connections
Programming and Projects
* Deliver group presentations and career-related workshops to
classes and student groups
* Pre-record presentations for professors to use within their
* Present to faculty and other campus constituents on Career Center
services, offerings, policies, and procedures.
* Create and deliver webinars and alternative presentation formats
for students and graduates.
* Assist as needed with all Career Center programs, events,
activities, workshops and customer requests.
* Represent the Career Center at various events, including but not
limited to, promoting the Career Center to faculty and staff, and
presenting recruiting-related programs to students.
Data Collection and Reporting
* Assist the Senior Assistant Director of Career Advising to
maintain current student databases as it relates to students' first
* Contribute to and manage assigned sections of annual report and
other ad hoc requests.
* Maintain program records and statistical information as it
relates to student employment and program accountabilities.
* Collect data on all initiatives to assess outcomes, measure
success, and hone future initiatives
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Must be able to build rapport quickly with students, staff and
* Comfortable using assertive outreach techniques.
* Working knowledge and skills with computer applications,
including Microsoft Office Suite.
* Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and
* Able to produce reports and complete work within deadlines.
* Ability and experience in counseling, coaching or mentoring
* Comfortable speaking to large groups
* Must be able to create and deliver effective training
* Drivers license required to drive to locations to conduct
presentations, attend meetings or visit employers.
Advertised Physical Requirements:
* Must be able to engage in repetitive motions, communicate, sit,
stand and see including color, depth perception and clarity
* Experience with first generation student engagement and diversity
* If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you
will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus
Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit
* The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse,
equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each
person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The
University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging
and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an
inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic
and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
* The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable
federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based
on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic
information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion,
disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its
policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not
limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing,
services in educational programs or activities, and health care
services that the University operates or provides.
Keywords: The University of Oklahoma, Norman , Assistant Director/Career Adviser, Executive , Norman, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!