RN - OB
Company: The Chickasaw Nation
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*Job Title: * OB RN *General Description: * This position is
located with the Department of Health at the Chickasaw Nation
Medical Center. The facility provides professional and clinical
health care services to Native American Beneficiaries in the
Obstetrical Unit (OB) and will include patients of the following
specialties: Obstetric/Nursery/Gynecology. *Supervision Received: *
Works under the general supervision of the Executive Officer of
Hospital & Nursing Services, Director of Inpatient Nursing and
Assistant Director, Inpatient Nursing , with immediate supervision
of the OB Manager and OB Assistant Manager. Routine work is
performed independently following written procedures, standards and
protocols. Work is reviewed for quality and adherence to policy.
*Supervision Exercised: * None *Supervision Essential Job
Functions: ** Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the
Chickasaw Nation Department of Health.
* Must have the ability to function in a fast paced area that
includes the ability to multi task.
* Coordinates the transportation of patients to other healthcare
facilities when necessary.
* Adheres to departmental/hospital safety practices, policies and
procedures, and unit practices based upon industry
* Supports the Baby Friendly Initiative 10 steps and Infant Feeding
policy and procedure.
* Demonstrates good telephone etiquette skills.
* Documents nursing care accurately, completely, and legibly.
* Collaborates effectively with other disciplines as
* Transfers care as appropriate utilizing the SBAR system.
* Delegates tasks as appropriate according to the Oklahoma Nurse
* Plans and provides comprehensive patient care by utilizing and
documenting the nursing process: including teaching patients and
their families formulating and evaluating the nursing care plan,
and discharge planning.
* Provides the patient and/or significant other(s) with education
including the safe and effective use of medications, diet and
nutrition, safe and effective use of medical equipment, pain
management, and knowledge and skills required to meet the patient's
ongoing healthcare needs.
* Recognizes and anticipates common changes in the physical,
biopsychosocial, and health education needs of female adult and
female adolescent patient populations experiencing pregnancy
related and non-pregnancy related conditions, acute medical and
surgical gynecological conditions, post-partum conditions, and
labor and delivery conditions.
* Recognizes and anticipates common changes in the physical,
biopsychosocial, and health education needs of the neonate in both
stable condition and those experiencing acute medical
* Administers prescribed medications, IV fluids, and blood products
according to facility policies and procedures.
* Administers special medications for OB according to facility
policies and procedures including Magnesium Sulfate, Cytotec, and
* Plans and provides holistic patient care in a manner that ensures
it is appropriate to patient's needs, age, culture, and condition
in conjunction with the plan of care.
* Participates in hospital, departmental, and unit performance
improvement activities to measure, assess, and improve the quality
of nursing care delivered to patients.
* Assesses the patient on admission and reassesses as indicated,
including pain assessments.
* Delivers quality patient care in accordance with the
OB/GYN/NURSERY Standards of Care.
* Documents assessment, interventions, all aspects of patient care,
and patient's response to interventions
* Provides a conducive learning atmosphere and clinical experience
* Executes the appropriate line of support when faced with ethical
* Executes emergency procedures related to the age and size of
* Provides individualized, goal directed nursing care to well and
sick neonates through use of assessment, planning, implementation,
and evaluation from admission to discharge.
* Monitors hemodynamic status of the patients and initiates
emergency protocols appropriate for the age and condition of the
* Monitors fetal heart tones and communicates to provider
appropriate findings utilizing NICHD criteria.
* Identifies problems competently and provides interventions
according to established protocols.
* Provides independent and dependent interventions to achieve and
maintain optimal patient responses, restore stability, and prevent
complications of the newborn.
* Competent to assess for need for restraint initiation, provide
alternatives to restraints, monitor for physical psychological
signs of distress related to restraint, document use of restraints,
and discontinue restraints as appropriate.
* Capable of implementing emergency intervention if required.
* Provides a safe environment for patients, staff, and visitors by
the reduction and control of environmental hazards and risks and
the prevention of accidents and injuries.
* Reviews the induction patient charts for the following day and
contacts the provider and/or OB Manager regarding special needs
* Completes appropriate Universal Protocol for patients undergoing
procedures and initiates the "Time Out".
* Assure complete documentation and that the surgical consent and
H&P are signed, witnessed, and on the chart.
* Assures that all ordered diagnostic test results are on the
* When functioning as a circulating nurse is responsible for:
* - Septic techniques in preparing for and assisting with surgical
procedures. Is expected to call breaks and/or omissions in
technique to the attention of the operating staff and take measures
to correct the situation.
* - Knowledge of patient position to assure access to the operative
area, and uses precautions to avoid obstruction of circulation,
respirations, and protection of nerves from compromise of undue
* - Preparing operative area by cleansing skin.
* - Assisting in maintaining surgical record including procedure,
time, participants, time-out, blood loss, medications, positioning,
etc. Preparing and labeling specimens for pathological examination
and monitoring of sponge, needle, and instrument counts.
* - Ensuring the proper working order of special/surgical
* - Observing the need for supplies during operation and replacing
them as necessary.
* Performs recovery room nursing duties for the immediate
post-surgical patient by monitoring airways, circulation, vital
signs, and wound/pain management.
* Is courteous to patients, staff, and visitors.
* Acts as a patient advocate and maintains confidentiality,
security, and integrity of data and information.
* Maintains and promotes professionalism.
* Utilizes opportunity to meet education needs and participates in
all required educational requirements and in-services and maintains
certifications (CPR, ACLS, PCEP, NRP)
* May serve as preceptor for nursing students
* Demonstrates good telephone etiquette skills.
* May serve as charge nurse as assigned by leadership. Charge Nurse
duties may include the following, not an all-inclusive list: Makes
appropriate and safe patient assignments, facilitates safe patient
flow of admissions, discharges and transfers. Communicates with
House and staff nurses about patient status changes. Promotes
cohesiveness among the inter-disciplinary team. Oversight of all
agency and contract staff. *Minimum Qualifications**Knowledge,
Skills, and Abilities: **Required* - Basic computer and keyboarding
knowledge is required. *Required* - Must have flexibility with
working all shifts. *Required* - Strong customer service skills.
*Required* - Experience in working with Electronic Medical Records.
*Required* - Must be able to demonstrate impeccable sterile
technique. *Education: **Associates Required* - Graduate of an
approved school of nursing is required; *Bachelors Preferred* -
Bachelor's degree in nursing is preferred. *Education Note:
**Training And Experience: **Required Experience* (6 months - 3
years) - One (1) year of clinical experience in an OB/NICU setting
is required; *Required Experience* (6 months - 3 years) - Fetal
Heart Monitoring Program (RN will complete a Fetal Monitoring class
within 1 year of hire date in OB if not current). *Licenses,
Certifications, Other: **Required* - Current and unrestricted
Oklahoma RN licensure is required, *Required* - in good standing
with the Oklahoma Board of Nursing (OBN); *Required* - Current
American Heart Association BLS, ACLS and NRP certifications (or
obtain BLS within one (1) month of hire; *Required* - ACLS and NRP
within three (3) months of hire, if not current); *Required* -
Fetal Heart Monitoring Program (RN will complete a Fetal Monitoring
class within 1 year of hire, if not current); *Required* - Complete
all PCEP continuing education requirements at three (3) year
intervals. *Physical Requirements: **Required* - All nursing
services employees must be able to meet the following Physical
Demands and will be exposed to elements described in the Work
Environment requirements. Work on the assigned unit requires
considerable standing, walking, bending, and stooping.The
individual may be required to lift/carry or push/pull objects in
excess of fifty (50) pounds. Must possess the ability to cope with
constant changes in a physically demanding, high-stress
environment. Regular exposure to blood, body fluids and tissue,
communicable diseases, chemicals, radiation, and repetitive
motions. Must possess the full range of body motion including
handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity, hand
and eye coordination. Corrected vision and hearing to within normal
range.Working irregular hours. *Work Environment: * Work is
performed in the hospital and/or the ambulatory care environment.
There is common exposure to contagious disease. The work may
include a certain amount of exposure to hostile and/or emotionally
disturbed patients, family members, and visitors. Job Type:
* 401(k) matching
* Continuing education credits
* Dental insurance
* Disability insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Employee discount
* Free parking
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid sick time
* Paid time off
* Referral program
* Tuition reimbursement
* Vision insurance
* Labor & Delivery
* Day shift
* Evening shift
* Night shift
* Monday to Friday
* Rotating weekends
* Weekend availability Application Question(s):
* This position is a COVID sensitive position and requires the
COVID-19 vaccine. Are you fully vaccinated or willing to become
fully vaccinated before starting employment if selected?
* I understand that the Chickasaw Nation has a no tolerance policy
of drugs and alcohol, and this includes the use of medicinal
marijuana. As a sovereign Nation, State law does not apply to the
Chickasaw Nation, and therefore the use of marijuana is illegal and
is not acceptable for employees. Education:
* Bachelor's (Preferred) Experience:
* Nursing: 1 year (Preferred) License/Certification:
* BLS Certification (Preferred)
* RN (Preferred)
* Driver's License (Preferred)
* PALS Certification (Preferred) Work Location: One location
Keywords: The Chickasaw Nation, Norman , RN - OB, Healthcare , Ada, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!