Dental Surgical Assistant
Company: The University of Oklahoma
Posted on: June 9, 2021
POSITION INFORMATION: Assists faculty, residents, and dental
students with oral surgery procedures.
- Surgical Assistance. Provides surgical assistance to faculty,
residents, and dental students.
- Preparation. Prepares patients for the procedure with proper
monitors for sedation. Prepares surgical trays with instrumentation
for basic extractions, IV extractions, biopsies, and implants.
- Monitoring. Reads and notates monitor readings from the
procedure. Maintains awareness of emergency situations and responds
according to departmental policy.
- X-Ray Development. Exposes and develops x-rays.
- Patient Recovery. Recovers patients from sedations. Gives
prescriptions from the surgeon with dosage instruction and proper
home care instructions.
- Sanitation. Cleans and sanitizes rooms after patient
- Paperwork. Completes paperwork for surgeries and sedations
including anesthesia records, drug cards, and consent forms.
Properly completes all paperwork from the procedure.
- Administrative Assistance. Performs basic administrative office
procedures such as chart management, seating and dismissing
- Continuing Education. Continues dental surgical education by
attending training sessions to learn concepts of sterile
procedures, sterilization, radiology, dental record keeping, fire
and safety procedures, OSHA regulations, nitrous oxide
administration, and basic CPR.
- As Needed. Performs various duties as needed to successfully
fulfill the function of the position.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: 12 months experience as a Dental Assistant
Certifications/ Licenses: Dental Assistant Certification or
OMSDA with the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry, Radiology, Basic
Preferred: 6 months experience in Oral Surgery
- Regularly required to work in an office environment at both
his/her own or others' desk/office
- Required daily to walk the floor, sometimes for extended
periods and be able to help wherever needed
- Able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to keep hand and arm steady while moving arm or while
holding arm and hand in one position
- Able to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of
one or both hands to grasp, manipulate or assemble very small
- Able to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine
to exact positions
- Able to bend, stretch, twist and/or reach with your body, arms
- Must possess good multi-limb coordination (i.e. the ability to
coordinate two or more limbs while sitting or standing)
- Must possess good trunk strength (i.e. the ability to use
abdominal or lower back muscles to support part of the body
continuously or repeatedly over time without giving out or
- Able to shift back and forth between two or more activities or
sources of information
- Good manual dexterity required to enable safe, skillful use of
instruments while working in the mouth
Keywords: The University of Oklahoma, Norman , Dental Surgical Assistant, Other , Norman, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!