Medical/Mabel Bassett Correctional Center
Salary: $12,159.17 monthly
This is an unclassified position; selections will be made
without the use of an interview committee per OP-110235 V.A.
Oklahoma Department of Corrections
Unclassified Job Descriptor
Under general direction, performs professional work in the
diagnosis and treatment of inmate patients in correctional
- Conducts a major portion of the medical treatment and
diagnostic services at a correctional institution or facility.
- Performs complete physical examinations on inmates and
correctional employees according to health services policy; directs
laboratory and X-ray procedures and interprets results.
- Prescribes treatment and therapy; supervises care to patients
in infirmary; provides emergency care as is appropriate in the
health care services unit or, as appropriate, at other sites in the
- Supervises physician's assistant assigned to the facility.
- Provides overall clinical supervision and guidance of the
health care providers at the facility.
- Develops protocols of care for use by other health care
- Evaluates inmate medical problems that are complex, changing,
or incompletely diagnosed or managed and makes referral of
appropriate cases to specialty clinics or the appropriate
- Coordinates mental health care of inmates with departmental
psychiatrists and/or psychologists.
- Completes, inspects, and interprets charts; prepares periodic
progress notes and final discharge summaries.
- Utilizes formulary medications whenever possible, and adheres
to the request for non-formulary drug process.
- Recognizes and applies both utilization and risk management
- Participates in quality improvement activities as
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of modern principles and practices of medicine; and of
the use of pharmacologic medications. Ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships; to exercise independent
judgement; to analyze situations and adopt an effective course of
action; to successfully diagnose, clarify, and treat patients in an
acceptable manner; and to interpret complex instructions, both oral
Education and Experience:
Statutorily Required: N/A
An unrestricted valid license to practice medicine in the state
of Oklahoma and board certification.
Job Code: 2120 DOC Pay Grade: Medical Statutory Reference: 74
O.S. 840-5.5 or 5.11 Effective Date: 04-01-08
Please read instructions carefully and include all required
documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application
has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment
in the Classified Service.