Construction Tech-Line Worker
Company: Windstream Communications
Posted on: January 15, 2022
About the Role:Construction Technician-Line Worker is
responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining poles, cables
and conduits; installing aerial and buried cables with associated
hardware as required to build jobs; the running of fiber optic,
copper and other necessary cable in the telecommunications space,
both aerial and in underground infrastructure, such as manholes;
maintaining the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding
procedures, road safety, manhole safety, attending safety meetings
as requested; maintaining material inventory, DOT vehicle
inspection; operate heavy machinery; and other duties as assigned,
including, but not limited to, splicing copper and fiber cable and
any tasks associated with splicing cable. The job will include work
on weekends, holidays, standby and unscheduled hours and overtime.
Travel is required and may be over 50% of the year depending on the
business needs.What You'll Do:
- Install, repair and maintain poles.
- Install aerial cables (fiber and copper); set-up service for
customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test
results, to asess transmission characteristics and locate faults or
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal
boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or
by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers,
or trenches and pull lines to proper tension using jacks, hoist and
other equipment as necessary.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through
conduits running through trenches/manholes as requested and
- Pull cable through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Ability to use a variety of construction equipment to complete
installations, such as digger derricks, bucket trucks, back hoes,
trenchers, or cable plows.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar
with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers' instructions
and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and
adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground
and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field
with clarity and detail and make reccomendations for changes in
running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues
including but not limited to, and hole cleanup, sign placement, and
weed control as required.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping
- Splice copper and fiber cables and tasks associated with
- Other work as assigned.
Job RequirementsMinimum Qualifications
- 1 year of outside plant construction experience including the
installation, repair and maintenance of poles and buried or aerial
cable or related Trade School certification in-lieu of one year of
- Pole climbing certification
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year round
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as
days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed
- Valid driver's license
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL
- Ability to pass DOT certification
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Ability to Travel
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete
all paperwork accurately and on-timeDesired Qualifications:
- 5 or more years of experience
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing
- Proficient at operating various Construction EquipmentOur
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- Generous annual increases
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identity Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet InsuranceAbout
Windstream Holdings, Inc. is a leading provider of advanced network
communications and technology solutions for consumers, small
businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners across
EEO Statement: Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At
Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our
people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected
veteran status, current military status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, citizenship
status, or any other status protected by law, and to give full
consideration to qualified disabled individuals and protected
veterans. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation
and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to
post offer, pre-employment drug testing.
Keywords: Windstream Communications, Norman , Construction Tech-Line Worker, Professions , Purcell, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!